Here come the cavalry!


Another few units to saunter off the painting table. This time a 12 figure USA cavalry unit (One GHQ pack's worth) and some accompanying dismounted cavalry join my burgeoning 10mm Union Army.

 I really like  GHQ's detail in these sculpts, although the separate riders do make for some fiddly  moments while painting.  Also, GHQ chose not to sculpt the standard bearer with a pole and pennant in this case which seems counter to their philosophy with the infantry.

For the dismounted cavalry  I added some standard bearers from the USA command pack.  Once again, these have the flags sculpted onto the model, so I painted US flags rather  than cavalry guidons.


 I based these at four figs/stand rather than three, because I think it looks better.  I was never a big fan of the counting models method from JRIII, so it is not really an issue for me.  There is a lack of horse holder models from GHQ that I will need to rectify at some point.  I have the HQ set which includes a horse holder and three horses, so it will give me at least one.  It is an interesting set overall, but I am really not seeing the need for a 10mm Abe Lincoln in my collection.


Comments

  1. Great looking Union troops, Jake. Love the variety of horseflesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I noticed that my Union Army looks a little monochromatic at this scale, so I wanted to use the horses to break up the palette.

      Delete
  2. Your GHQ cavalry look terrific! Sculpting is really well done and your photo suggests much better done than Old Glory's 10mm cavalry offering. Dismounted troopers are nice too. I still need to field dismounted cav for my project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice sculpts and probably way more detail than really needed painting at this scale, but they look super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still trying to find my niche with this scale. They are a little too large to go with the impressionism required for 6mm. The sad part for me is all the work I put into them up close, to realize that most of it is invisible on the table.

      Delete

Post a Comment