Swiss Handgunners


My first attempt at the plastic Perry Miniatures mercenaries boxed set are two stands of handgunners for my early Renaissance collection.  I wanted to produce a few non-landsknecht pike regiments and thought these would work well for Swiss mercenaries.  I picked up a pack of the Swiss heads that Perry also produces, to update them more to the end of the 15th century.
You get a variety of models and options with the boxed set.  If I have a complaint it is that you only get 16 Pikes, which makes producing enough pikemen for the main units difficult.  You also get enough Crossbows for two similar units to these along with Pavises.  I opted to go with with one unit of (S) Handguns and one of (T) for my Francis I Impetus army, as I felt the handguns make them fit more with the later period.  (Some of their clothing/armor is more 1450 than 1500...)

I just finished two stands of pikes, but basing them and doing standards may take awhile.  If you would like to see these miniatures painted properly, check out Saxon Dog's website instead.

Comments

  1. Jake, great progress continues on this project. Was there a reason you chose Perry plastics over Foundry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to try something different for these guys. They look more like the Swiss pike from the front cover of the book you gave me, and I have seen some pretty interesting conversions on-line.

      Delete
  2. great miniatures and painting, I also like the flocked bases.... nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My basing system is an evolving art....

      Delete
  3. Very useful additions to your Italian Wars forces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..and my first group that I think we work well in a Florentine or Venetian army.

      Delete
  4. Well done, great looking minis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking handgunners - the Perry plastics are great for conversion work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment