More Odds and Ends - Ex Illis and Reaper Bones



A few more minis in the 'done' pile for this month.  First off is the "Decurion" from the Ex Illis boxed set I picked up way back.  This is supposed to be an Angelic commander with Two-Handed sword.


It is a nice casting, with very realistic proportions.  (That means spindly legs and weapons at this scale.)  My only complaint is in the lack of depth in the sculpting of the wings.  The detail is fairly shallow, so I needed to use a very dark shade with light dry brush to bring that detail out.  I have a second model with great helm I will finish... eventually.


The next two are from the Reaper Bones  collection.  Why these two?  Because I was at Merlyn's Comics and Games in Spokane awhile back and saw them in the used minis cupboard.  I wanted to see how the Reaper plastic paints up, and also make it a point to at least buy something every time I visit my favorite FLGS.  First up is a Valkyrie

 It is a nice sculpt, with good detail.  The more delicate details are very fine, and thus disappear with all but the lightest Drybrush.  This shield is still in just one color, as I haven't found a suitable decal to give it the viking look I am going for.  I painted her up as an update to my old "Shieldmaidan of Victory"




The other is more of a "Shieldmaiden of Drowning the Sorrow of Defeat."  My favorite moment was my son's first comment:  "Cool dad, it looks she really has rootbeer in those mugs."  Heh....




Comments

  1. You are really dredging up some old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the goal. I want to achieve a state of more painted in the house than not....

      Delete
  2. "Root Beer"; ah, innocence! :-)

    I like the Valkyrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up on blogs, so sorry for the late post, but very cool work on these. I like that serving wench! Merry Christmas, Dean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment